Wednesday 29 May 2013

IN PRAISE OF MY PARENTS


Visited my parents yesterday with Axel. Not one broken thing. Amazing. A happy time. Things have changed a lot.

Years ago my parents held to their rules, would not hide things or change things... the boy must learn. 

After many pieces of porcelain were deposited into the Grandfather clock resulting in a pleasing smashing sound, my father hid the remaining ones. Axel had a fetish for the clock, made by my grandfather, and would rip the pendulum out and walk around with it. It cost £500 to fix. My mother tried all sorts of things to attractively protect it and found this simple red ribbon did the trick. 

Another trial was that Axel had a passion for my parents' choice of muesli. My mother refused him the muesli saying it would spoil his appetite. The meltdowns were tragic. 

Yesterday, Axel sat next to my mother, who'd as usual cooked a splendid meal. Axel held the massive muesli jar to his mouth and happily tipped all of it into his mouth and as far as the eye could see. Not an eyelash of stress was on my mother's face. Happy, eating together, in our own ways.


Although Axel's interest in the clock has long since waned my mother keeps the ribbon on. She wants her grandson to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment