Tuesday 23 April 2013

DIVORCE AND AUTISM - 23 10 12

I do wonder why the incidence of divorce is so particularly high in couples with children with severe Autism. 87% I read. 

Is it that the strain and inevitable separation that happens when so tired and emotionally, physically and practically stretched means it happens? We were rarely in the same room. Is it that the condition that has clearly emerged in the child is appearing in the parents, that is, that they struggle to communicate too... it is genetic? Perhaps all of it?

I am curious about this and wonder whether I'll be able to support couples some time soon. I'm in training. Lord knows I've made and experienced most mistakes to know the terrain. 

Saying that, the father wrote this of me when recently bidding for a residential school...

'Catherine, his mother, has fought and strived and coped and shown levels of resilience that are outstanding when put into the context of dealing with the emotional and physical barrage that is required to care for Axel.'

So that, at least, is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment