Tuesday 23 April 2013

THE GRANDFATHER AND THE BOY - 29 12 12

My father is a big man. Not just his height at 6 foot 1 but his aura is big... if that makes sense. Many Christmases ago I remember seeing him lying on the ground in my lounge trying to interest Axel in opening his present. An unusual sight. My father was pleased with the wooden bus he'd found for his Grandson but the boy walked off. Axel was nearly two and undiagnosed. I comforted my confused and disappointed father, helped him up and excused Axel... 'he doesn't understand presents yet'? 

My father is confused by Axel. He tries to know the boy but to no avail. Years later, Axel approached my father sitting at our table and pulled him by the hand. My father was delighted and surprised as were we all. Axel clearly directed my father with him, pulled him through the house. 'Where are we going?' my father said, clearly chuffed. Axel put my fathers hand to the front door handle. 'Ah, he wants to go out. Is that ok?' My father looked at me for approval. The door opened, Axel pushed my father out and shut the door on him. My heart ached. I felt the pain through the door.

Years later still, as always, out of nowhere, Axel sat on my father's lap. And sat. Axel let my father put his arms around him and gently cuddle. He rested his head on my father's chest. The pleasure blushed through my father's face, his body, pleasure could be felt on the moon.

Axel's blessing is such a blessing.


No comments:

Post a Comment